Tannachy Hospital Rockhampton
Title Tannachy Hospital Rockhampton
Description Tannachy was built in the 1880s as a home for Mr William Patterson, one of the original shareholders of the Mt Morgan Mine. He called the home Tannachy after the name given to the rocks in the Fitzroy River by the Darumbal People. The building became a boarding house for a time. It was purchased by Dr Norman Talbot who set up Tannachy Private Hospital in 1922. Dr F C Wooster joined him in partnership two years later. This image of the three buildings which made up the Tannachy complex in the 1940s is scanned from a Nurse's Certificate issued to Virginia D'Arcy in 1942. In 1951, the hospital was in danger of closing until a committee of local Rockhampton businessmen were able to form a company to keep it operating. In 1961, the Rockhampton Anglican Diocese acquired the hospital and renamed it St John's Hospital. The original building was demolished in the 1980s. The hospital in now closed and all buildings on the site have been demolished.
Image Number 8
Publisher Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc
Source (Original) Certificate donated by John Miguel, son of Virginia D'Arcy
Subject Historic buildings
Subject Hospitals
Subject Mansions
Subject Rockhampton. Tannachy Hospital.
Coverage - Spatial Victoria Parade, Rockhampton, Queensland
Coverage - Time ca. 1920
Format of Original Nurse's graduation certificate: b&w 18.5 cm x 8 cm; scan .tif 12.4 MB 3061 x 1417 pixels
Digital Format image/gif
Rights This image is provided for the purpose of private study and research and must not be reproduced without the permission of the Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.

Corner