Convalescent Home, Yeppoon ca. 1920
Title Convalescent Home, Yeppoon ca. 1920
Description In the early 20th Century, Mt Chalmers, a town inland of Yeppoon and Emu Park, was a thriving mining community. However, the industry collapsed and through the generosity of the Mt Chalmers community, the Rockhampton Hospital Committee acquired the building and relocated it to the Yeppoon foreshore as a convalescent home. The Home was opened by Ald T. B. Renshaw, President of the General Hospital Committee on the afternoon of Saturday 7th July 1917. The building contained 2 wards, an operating room, dispensary, matron and nurses’ apartments, kitchen, and cook’s and assistants’ rooms, two bathrooms and two end rooms on the front and back verandas. Through the efforts of a local committee, the building was proclaimed a hospital in 1922. Ref. 1917 ‘Yeppoon Convalescent Home.’, Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld.: 1878-1954), 9 July p. 9, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article53817533
Image Number 255
Publisher Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.
Source (Original) Published by Galian Bros. Yeppoon Qld
Subject Historic convalescent homes
Subject Yeppoon Convalescent Home
Coverage - Spatial Anzac Parade, Yeppoon, Queensland
Coverage - Time ca. 1920
Format of Original postcard: colour; scan .tif 6.9MB 1968 x 1223 pixels
Digital Format image/jpeg
Rights This image is provided for the purpose of private study and research and must not be reproduced without the permission of the Australian Country Hospital Heritage Association Inc.

Corner